Download the episode here!
Too big to jail
In the wake of revelations the GM executive knowing allowed a car to go into production with a defect that would kill people…and no one charged? Well, there seems to be two legal system, one for you and me and one for corporations (and the rich). We get put into jail, they get a fine and have go back to doing what they do.
<note: at the end of this segment I confused two issues, one the call to arms is a thing in the USA…check it out here.
And my Canadian call to arms was actually meant for the “media consolodation” segments, you can be active here.>
- GM earnings down 22% for 2013, but profit-sharing up to $7,500
- GM to Pay Record $35 Million Fine Over Ignition Switch Recalls
- Barclays profits rise to £5.2bn in 2013
- JPMorgan earns $5.3 billion despite legal woes
- JPMorgan Chase – 2013_settlement
- Libor – what is it and why does it matter?
- Libor scandal – Fines for manipulation
- Lawyer Seeks to Reopen Suit Central to GM Ignition-Switch Recall
- Too big to fail
- Too Big to Jail? Credit Suisse Bank Pleads Guilty to Decades of Tax Evasion, But Execs Avoid Prison
- Glenn Greenwald on Occupy Wall Street, Banks Too Big to Jail and the Attack on WikiLeaks
- How banks became too big to fail/jail
- Not too big to jail?
- Gangster Bankers: Too Big to Jail – How HSBC hooked up with drug traffickers and terrorists. And got away with it
- Move to amend
- Corporations are not people
- First Jail Term Sentence under Canada’s Foreign Corruption Legislation
- Lisa Raitt wants to know what GM Canada knew about recalls
- GM Recall
- More than 13 deaths in recalled GM cars ‘likely’
Thoughts about being neighborly in a global community from a Prairie Correspondent.
UnFair Election Law
Just days away for become the law of the land, we look and what was change and what we lost.
- The Fair Elections Act passes the House
- Fair Elections Act passes third reading, expected to become law by June
- Controversial Fair Elections Act pushed through parliament by Conservative government
- New poll shows majority oppose key sections of the Unfair Elections Act
- James Rajotte – May 7, 2014 Letter to Constituents
- Everything you need to know about the Fair Elections Act
- Canada Elections Act
- Fair Elections Act – Third reading version
- Motion to amend Fair Elections Act
- Senate recommendations on the Fair Elections Act
- Fair Elections act – First Reading
- Open Parliament – Bill C-13
- Senate panel to push for changes to proposed fair elections act
- Fair Elections Act amendments pass
- Canadian Election Laws & Policies
- Elections Canada commissioner calls for more powers
- Commissioner of Canada Elections – 2013 report
- Parliament of Canada – The Canadian Electoral System
- Manitoba – The Elections Act
- Opening Remarks by Paul G. Thomas at House of Commons Standing Committee on Procedure and House of Affairs on Bill CF23 – 2014.05.31
Canada has the highest levels of media concentration in the world, we also have the most vertically integrated media in the world. We look at how this harms society and what we can do the fix it!
- Diversity of media ownership literally non-existent in Canada
- Canadian Media Concentration Research (CMCR) project
- Concentration Of Media Ownership In Canada Worst In G8 For TV Industry
- Media ownership in Canada
- Herfindahl index
- Growth and Concentration in the French-language Network Media Economy in Canada, 2000-2012
- Ask your MP to commit to making our national public broadcaster strong again
- Friends of Canadian Broadcasting
- WFF 2013: What media consolidation means for Canadian film
- Stop Bell’s Takeover
And what one media source was reporting on this? You guessed it the CBC
Justin and the Pope
- Liberal MP apologizes to Trudeau for abortion comments
- Justin Trudeau’s abortion stance leaves Liberal ranks in confusion
- Justin Trudeau and abortion
- The Backbench Spring: Justin Trudeau, democracy and abortion
- No anti-abortion candidates allowed to run for NDP
- Justin Trudeau, abortion and votes of conscience
- Free votes in the House of Commons: a problematic reform
- Open letter to Justin Trudeau from Archbishop of Toronto
- Trudeau defends his abortion stance, cites father’s protection of rights
- Trudeau defends abortion stance amid sharp Catholic criticism
- Justin Trudeau’s pro-choice stand earns cardinal’s rebuke
- Archbishop unhappy with Trudeau’s pro-choice directive
- Trudeau Liberals say they will not change abortion position despite intervention from Catholic archbishop
- Ottawa archbishop on Trudeau
- Justin Trudeau’s abortion policy will ‘definitely’ hurt Liberals
- A case for Trudeau’s excommunication
“Yes, We have no more bananas”
- Banana equivalent dose
- Yes, We Will Have No Bananas
- Growing Controversy Over GMO Bananas in Uganda
- Can This Fruit Be Saved?
- The Terrifying Truth About Bananas
- History of the Banana: 1800 to Present
- Banana: R.I.P. – They’re in trouble. Can biotechnology save the fruit?
- Cavendish banana
- What are East African Highland Banana’s (EAHBs) and why are they important for food security?
- Gros Michel banana
- Yes, We Have No Bananas: Meet the fungus that could wipe out the banana industry
- Good Eats – Yes We Have No Banana Pudding
And for those who where wondering about my reference to bananas as a proof of god…check this out: