Download the episode here!
Evidence Based Medicine
In a double dose of this weeks whine, we start off talking about how alt-med…the practitioners of ‘woo’ medicine have coopted the term evidence based medicine. Find out how they have done, why its important and what we can do about it.
- Does integrated health have a place in Canadian medicine?
- Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (just proves, just because it’s in a “journal” does not make it science)
- The difference between science-based medicine and CAM
- Is Evidence-based Medicine Sufficient For Complementary And Alternative Medicine Research? (and even trusted site can have bull)
- CBC’s The Current: Does “integrated health” have a place in Canadian medicine?
A child’s capacity to consent
In a recent decision by the Child Protection Agency in Ontario, a 10 year old girl have been given the right to refuse life saving treatment.
We discuss what is wrong (as it if was not obvious) why this responsibility should not be given to a child…hell, she can’t even buy smokes or a beer but make critical medical decisions…that’s okay.
We also provide the context as to why such a terrible decision seems to be the right thing to do, no make who wrong it truly is.
- Makayla Sault will not be apprehended by Children’s Aid
- Consent and Capacity Board
- First Nations girl chooses traditional medicine over chemo
- A history of residential schools in Canada
- Sixties Scoop
Prairie Correspondent Talks Language, Bias and Politics
When we elect an official…be they an MP or school trusty, what responsibility to they have to be “respectable”…how much should they suppress personal opinions…what right does the public/electorate have to dictate their lives and behaviors.
Listen and find out how a small local issue in Brandon can shed light on our society at large.
This semi-regular segment was inspired by a conversation i had with a friend of mine lately.
We talked for a couple of hours about a number of things.I could not help but notice that every time I had a new conversation bit, it was always a downer…some new scandal here…global catastrophe there…people being bad to other people…another study that is just propaganda…nothing up.
Anyway, it has set me on a quest to find some positive happy stories. So, this week:
Bright Side – New Prize to Save the World
300 hundred years ago the UK government offered a huge prize, the Longitude Prize, to anyone who could solve the driving problem of the age…how to determine a ships longitude (hey, who are we to judge).
In the spirit of the first prize , the UK government is setting up the the Longitude Prize 2, which will offer 10 million pound to whom ever can solve today’s most pressing problem…what is it? Well, this is the cool part, they are leaving it up to vote of UK residence.
Which problem is more pressing? Food shortage, clean water, mobility and paralysis, independence and dementia, superbugs and the end of antibiotics or a green plane (yes, a green plane, have no idea why its on the list but it is).
Old School Tricorder
Also related, we discuss the X-Prize to develop the first Tricorder…yes, like in Star Trek…how cool is that? There is also a 20 million dollar prize to land a rover on the moon…
Tricorder the Next Generation
- Longitude prize
- Wikipedia – 2014 Longitude Prize
- Longitude Prize 2014
- Star Trek tricorder inspires new X Prize contest
- Tricorder X Prize – Canada’s hope
- Tricorder X Prize
- X Prize Foundation
- Google Lunar X PRIZE
- Hockey puck may visit moon in X Prize plan
A semi-regular segment where i share with you my loyal listeners shyte I found on the internet just too interesting to keep to myself.
Web Wisdom – Dark Origins of Fairy-tales and Nursery Rhymes