Posted by Don McLenaghen on April 24, 2014
Download the episode here!
Whine of the Week : Senate push back
The senate has reviewed the Fair Election Acts and has recommended some changes. When I first read the headlines about this, I thought finally some sanity. They were “Senate pushes back on Fair Elections Act”, “Senators seek major changes to election bill”, etc. However, when I read into it, it was pretty much weak tea. That said, there were some improvements. So, we go over the changes and how they fail to deal with the fundamental problems of the act.
There was another stink that arose from the Senate Committee and that was Senator Linda Frum…who actually said that greater voter turn-out was a conflict of interest for Elections Canada…What the feck!? We discuss and debunk what she said.
Take Action – Stand up for Canadian democracy
In commemoration of our landmark episode we have visits from from past hosts Chloe, Daniel and Rob as well as a letter from Jenna.
Radio Free Thinker would like to thank you our values listeners and dare i say fans for all your support over the years.
And allow me to thank Elan, Ethan, Rob, Daniel, Jenna, Chloe and everyone else who has help me make this show the success it has become. Thanks you!
Back to the Beginning
As a special treat, we rebroadcast our very first episode of Radio Free Thinker first aired March 24th, 2009. How time has flown.
Posted in Show notes | Tagged: 250th Episode, fair elections act, Landmark, Linda Frum | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Don McLenaghen on April 18, 2014
Download the episode here!
Whine of the Week : Killing the CBC
As ye sow, so shall ye reap…can also be stated, as ye fast, so shall ye whither, and whither the CBC has. Facing an $100 million budget short fall…thanks to Harper, losing hockey and other factors…the CBC is cutting staff by over 650.
Polling shows the CBC is the most trusted media source in the country, more three-quarters think the government should fund the CBC at a sufficient level…most of those think funding needs to increased.
The Harper government has regularly and consistently slashed the CBC grant budget after budget while spending the entire CBC budget on a single F-35 jet…or overpriced frigates. What money they are giving, they think would be better spent by just giving it to private media companies…here’s how that would turn out…
Why are we not moving to a BBC style of funding…create a strong, stable and independent broadcaster, whose sole interest to provide the best of Canada.
Seriously the Unfair Elections Act is Important
How did Poilievre become Minister for Democratic Reform, how was the act craft and again…how it can destroy democracy in Canada – The Harper fix is in!
Find out more:
The IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report
Climate Change…even more certainty and dire warnings, again – The IPCC released it latest report on the state of the worlds climate and we’re serious screwed!
Conclusions of the WG1 report (The Physical Science Basis) are summarized below:
- “Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia”.
- “Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide have increased to levels unprecedented in at least the last 800,000 years”.
- Human influence on the climate system is clear. It is extremely likely (95-100% probability) that human influence was the dominant cause of global warming between 1951-2010.
- “Continued emissions of greenhouse gases will cause further [global] warming and changes in all components of the climate system. Limiting climate change will require substantial and sustained reductions of greenhouse gas emissions”.
- “Most aspects of climate change will persist for many centuries even if emissions of CO2 are stopped”
Conclusions of the WG3 report (Mitigation of Climate Change) are summarized below:
- The global surface temperature increase by the end of the 21st century is likely to exceed 1.5 °C relative to the 1850 to 1900 period for most scenarios, and is likely to exceed 2.0 °C for many scenarios. With the possibility of an increase as much as 4.5°C
- The global water cycle will change, with increases in disparity between wet and dry regions, as well as wet and dry seasons, with some regional exceptions.
- The oceans will continue to warm, with heat extending to the deep ocean, affecting circulation patterns.
- Decreases are very likely in Arctic sea ice cover, Northern Hemisphere spring snow cover, and global glacier volume
- Global mean sea level will continue to rise at a rate very likely to exceed the rate of the past four decades
- Changes in climate will cause an increase in the rate of CO2 production.
- Increased uptake by the oceans will increase the acidification of the oceans.
- Future surface temperatures will be largely determined by cumulative CO2, which means climate change will continue even if CO2 emissions are stopped.
Find out more:
Society Is Doomed
NASA funded study shows the not only do civilizations collapse, it happens regularly and is inevitable…but there is an upside.
Find out more:
Posted in Blogs, Show notes | Tagged: apocalypse, BBC, broadcast media, Canadian Crown Jewels, Canadian Culture, Canadian identity, CBC, Climate Change, Collapse, corporate agenda, democracy, Democratic Reform, Doom, Elections Canada, fair elections act, Harper agenda, Harry Neufeld, India, Indus River, IPCC, Linda Frum, Mark Maynard, NASA, Pakistan, Pierre Poilievre, Preston Manning, The Harper fix, water war | 1 Comment »